In light of these dry conditions, the City of Waterloo Fire Rescue is out with a reminder about how easily grass fires can start.

Public Education Officer John Percy tells 570 the biggest concern is improperly discarded cigarette butts, “make sure you put it in a metal container that doesn’t burn, don’t put the cigarette butts into the grass, because that’s how easily grass fires start.”

Percy says even a piece of motorized equipment, such as lawn mowers can get hot enough to start a fire, “our grass is so dry right now, it would not take a lot to ignite it.”

Percy also reminds us to make sure our barbeques are kept the appropriate distance away from any structures, which can usually be found labelled on the barbeque.

Percy says if you do end up with a grass fire, to call 911 immediately.

Mike.McCulloch@rci.rogers.com