It can be difficult to follow the latest developments in the rapidly-evolving battle to contain the novel coronavirus. Every day there’s a new barrage of headlines about the virus’ impact locally, and abroad. Health officials are routinely updating the public on new presumptive and confirmed cases, and world economies have been on a dizzying roller-coaster ride.
The latest on the coronavirus will be posted on this page every day. The compilation of stories will be updated frequently to help give you a one-stop spot for up-to-date and pertinent information. Bookmark this page to stay up-to-date.
If you feel any symptoms and want more information about COVID-19, visit the Region of Waterloo public health page.
April 21 updates:
- Canada has 1,145,764 cases of the novel coronavirus in total — 429,123 of those cases are in Ontario. Of those cases, there have been 7,789 deaths, and 378,417 people have recovered. There have been 23,763 deaths and 1,034,542 recoveries in Canada.
- The number of cases in Ontario is listed on the Ontario government’s health page.
- The number of global cases and cases in Canada, by province or territory, are listed on Canada’s public health page (the students, staff self-isolating after positive COVID-19 case in public school age is updated later in the day).
- The World Health Organization has a daily report containing all the suspected and confirmed cases in the world (the report is released later in the day).
- For a full list of community event cancellations and postponements, click here.
April 21 stories:
- 74 new local COVID cases, another death reported Wednesday
- 46 new COVID-19 cases in Guelph Wednesday, 5 in Wellington County
- Ontario reports 4,212 new cases of COVID, 32 deaths, over 136,000 vaccinations
- WDG Public Health’s Dr. Mercer says lockdown, vaccine rollout will help turn the corner
- CFL pushing back start of season nearly two months because of COVID-19
- Premier Ford tests negative after staff member tests positive for COVID
- Ontario cabinet finalizing sick-leave plan to be released in coming days
- More essential workers in WR can pre-register for COVID vaccine
April 20 stories:
- Region reports 134 new COVID cases, six more outbreaks Tuesday
- Nine new COVID-19 cases in Guelph Tuesday, four in Wellington County
- More local primary care offices offering AstraZeneca, region’s top doctor receives first dose
- Waterloo mayor calls on Uptown protesters to support businesses by helping end pandemic
- ‘We’ve never seen anything like this’: Local hospital system aims to open more ICU beds for COVID surge
- Toronto, Peel to order temporary closure of businesses with recent COVID-19 outbreaks
- No Section 22 for workplace closures in region for now, says medical officer of health
- Ontario, Alberta follow Manitoba, B.C. in giving AstraZeneca vaccine to 40 and up
- B.C. to table budget that’s expected to deal with COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
- Trudeau defends Canada’s travel restrictions as effective but open to doing more
- COVID-19: Cases confirmed in the region’s schools