It can be difficult to follow the latest developments in the rapidly-evolving battle to contain the novel coronavirus. Every day there’s a new barrage of headlines about the virus’ impact locally, and abroad. Health officials are routinely updating the public on new presumptive and confirmed cases, and world economies have been on a dizzying roller-coaster ride.
The latest on the coronavirus will be posted on this page every day. The compilation of stories will be updated frequently to help give you a one-stop spot for up-to-date and pertinent information. Bookmark this page to stay up-to-date.
If you feel any symptoms and want more information about COVID-19, visit the Region of Waterloo public health page.
July 27 updates:
- Canada has 1,427,917 cases of the novel coronavirus in total — 549,576 of those cases are in Ontario. Of those cases, there have been 9,321 deaths, and 538,860 people have recovered. There have been 26,560 deaths and 1,396,192 recoveries in Canada.
- The number of cases in Ontario is listed on the Ontario government’s health page.
- The number of global cases and cases in Canada, by province or territory, are listed on Canada’s public health page (the students, staff self-isolating after positive COVID-19 case in public school age is updated later in the day).
- The World Health Organization has a daily report containing all the suspected and confirmed cases in the world (the report is released later in the day).
- For a full list of community event cancellations and postponements, click here.
July 27 stories:
- Region reports 13 new COVID cases Tuesday
- Five new COVID-19 cases reported in Guelph Tuesday
- Ontario reports 129 new COVID-19 cases, five more deaths
- Pearson airport won’t sort arriving passengers based on vaccination status
- Additional drive-thru vaccination clinics being offered at Bingemans this week
- Only half of one per cent of new COVID-19 cases are in fully vaccinated: Trudeau
- Unvaccinated students will follow stricter COVID outbreak rules, Ontario top doc says
- Ontario to soon regularly report how many COVID-19 cases are in unvaccinated people
- Ontario regions push to boost youth vaccination rate as school-year window closes
- Unvaccinated people 6.4 times more likely to get COVID-19: Ontario’s top doctor
- CFIB petitioning to extend wage and rent subsidy for businesses
July 26 stories:
- Region adds 11 new COVID cases Monday
- Four new COVID-19 cases in Guelph from Friday to Monday morning
- Pandemic changed people’s views on their future in long-term care, survey suggests
- Canada to have enough COVID-19 vaccine doses this week to fully immunize all eligible Canadians
- Liberal leader calls for creation of vaccine passport: ‘We need a plan to prevent a 4th wave’
- StatCan data shows youth unemployment rates have risen during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Vaccination clinic on Pinebush Road offering Pfizer, Moderna vaccines
- Guelph MPP urges province to get kids back in schools this fall
- Grand River Hospital dealing with another COVID-19 outbreak