It can be difficult to follow the latest developments in the rapidly-evolving battle to contain the novel coronavirus. Every day there’s a new barrage of headlines about the virus’ impact locally, and abroad. Health officials are routinely updating the public on new presumptive and confirmed cases, and world economies have been on a dizzying roller-coaster ride.
The latest on the coronavirus will be posted on this page every day. The compilation of stories will be updated frequently to help give you a one-stop spot for up-to-date and pertinent information. Bookmark this page to stay up-to-date.“
If you feel any symptoms and want more information about COVID-19, visit the Region of Waterloo public health page.
February 25 updates:
- Canada has 857,122 cases of the novel coronavirus in total — 297,311 of those cases are in Ontario. Of those cases, there have been 6,916 deaths, and 280,324 people have recovered. There have been 21,845 deaths and 804,761 recoveries in Canada.
- The number of cases in Ontario is listed on the Ontario government’s health page.
- The number of global cases and cases in Canada, by province or territory, are listed on Canada’s public health page (the students, staff self-isolating after positive COVID-19 case in public school age is updated later in the day).
- The World Health Organization has a daily report containing all the suspected and confirmed cases in the world (the report is released later in the day).
- For a full list of community event cancellations and postponements, click here.
February 25 stories:
- 21 new COVID-19 cases in Guelph Thursday, seven in Wellington County
- Ontario reports 1,138 new cases of COVID-19, 23 deaths and 19,112 vaccinations
- Alberta to introduce budget: Promising renewed fight on COVID-19, but more red ink
- Who have provinces have pegged to receive COVID-19 vaccines in the coming weeks?
- Babies not exempt from mask bylaw at some regional businesses
- Pandemic increased direct aid to fossil fuel producers, new study shows
- Vaccine pre-registration help available at Guelph Public Library
February 24 stories:
- Region reports 30 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday
- Six new COVID-19 cases in Guelph Wednesday, five in Wellington County
- Ontario reports 1,054 new cases of COVID-19, nine deaths and 17,141 vaccinations
- If you are part of Phase One, you can now pre-register for the COVID vaccine
- St. John Catholic School in Kitchener closed due to COVID-19 cases
- COVID-19 outbreak declared in cohort at Howard Robertson PS
- Ford announces $115M to train 8,200 new PSWs in accelerated six-month program
- CanAge report on vaccinating seniors gives Canada a failing grade, raises health and safety concerns
- Advocates call for COVID-19 vaccination plan for migrant and undocumented workers
- Pearson Airport to launch new COVID-19 testing study for staff, departing travellers
- COVID-19 quarantine screening officer charged with extortion, sexual assault
- Upper Grand expresses concern with emerging COVID variants
- Stratford Jail closing temporarily after COVID-19 outbreak
- Vaccinations of those 80 and older to start March 15
- COVID-19: Cases confirmed in the region’s schools