Loading articles...

$20K in damage after cooking fire at Guelph apartment building

Twitter/@CollisonCynthia

Thousands of dollars worth of damage after a fire at a six-plex apartment building in Guelph.

Chief John Osborne with the Guelph Fire Department says crews were called to 62 Willow Road just before 8 p.m. Monday night.

“When crews arrived they did find fire in the kitchen – the balcony door was open, and that’s where the smoke was coming out. The crews made a very quick attack, and were able to knock that kitchen fire down.”

Damage is estimated around $20,000.

“The cause has been determined as overheated cooking oil in a frying pan on a stove top. The occupants were given over to the Red Cross, who were then able to put that occupant up overnight. We did return the building back over the owner last night, and all other occupants within the 6-plex have been able to go back in.”

There were two people who were evaluated by Guelph-Wellington Emergency Services, but none were transported to hospital.

Osborne adds no charges will be laid as a result of the fire, but they’re reminding everyone of one simple safety message.

“In grease fires, do NOT throw water on it – it’s incredibly dangerous.”