Fireworks are a long weekend staple, and something we’re sure to see a lot of over the next few days.
Whether celebrating at home or at the cottage, Waterloo Fire Rescue is reminding us to stay safe.
“This Victoria Day long weekend we get outside with our family to set off fireworks. Fireworks can be a lot of fun but can be dangerous if not set off in a safe manner” said John Percy, public education officer for Waterloo Fire Rescue.
He adds there are a few simple tips to keep in mind when lighting up the skies.
– Have a responsible adult in charge
– Clearly read and follow the directions on all packaging
– Avoid lighting fireworks near buildings, trees, and dry grass or in windy areas
– Always keep an eye on children
– Check batteries on all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in homes and cottages
More information on the sale and use of fireworks can be found under the City of Waterloo’s Fireworks By-Law by clicking here.