Wellington County OPP have made an arrest in the case of a number of suspicious fires at rural homes and barns dating back to October 2016.
As a result of the comprehensive investigation with the help from the OPP’s Crime Operations Unit, OPP Forensic Identification Services, and the Ontario Fire Marshall’s Office, an arrest has been made in relation to six of those blazes.
28-year-old Justin Beal from Guelph-Eramosa Township has been charged with six counts of arson. He’s been released on bail.
Wellington County OPP say the six fires he’s charged with include:
- October 14, 2016 house fire at #5230 Third Line, Guelph/Eramosa
- October 19, 2016 house fire at #5292 Third Line, Guelph/Eramosa
- February 3, 2017 shed fire at #6873 Highway 7 Guelph/Eramosa
- February 3, 2017 house/barn fire at #5413 Township Road 3, Guelph/Eramosa
- June 25, 2017 shed fire at #5324 Wellington Road 125, Erin
- June 25, 2017 house fire #8813 Sideroad 27, Erin
There have been at least 30 suspicious fires since September 2016 in Wellington County, mainly focused around the rural areas of Guelph. Beal has been charged with six of those.
Wellington County OPP and West Region Criminal Operations say the investigation is on going.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Heidi Pautsch or Detective Mark Allen at 519 846-5930, or contact Wellington County OPP at 1-888-310-1122.