A relative of two Quebecers killed during a massive earthquake in Ecuador on Saturday has confirmed their identities.
Guy Laflamme tells Montreal radio station 98.5 FM that his nephew’s wife, Jennifer Mawn, and their son, Arthur Laflamme, are among the 350 reported dead.
Laflamme says his nephew, Pascal Laflamme, and his family had moved to Ecuador not too long ago and that they liked travelling and working abroad.
He says Pascal had been on FaceTime, chatting with his father Real in Quebec on Saturday night as the earthquake hit.
Pascal managed to get in touch later to confirm the deaths – first his son’s, then his wife’s – but added that he and his daughter were slightly injured but OK.
The 7.8-magnitude earthquake is the strongest to hit Ecuador since 1979, levelling buildings and buckling highways along the Pacific Coast of the South American country.