The Insurance Bureau of Canada is out with its’ annual Top 10 Most Frequently Stolen Vehicles list. It shows high-end luxury SUVs are the most commonly stolen vehicles in Ontario.
“Between 2015 and 2016, Ontario has seen an overall increase of 1% in auto theft, with considerable variations and fluctuations right across the province.” said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.
“Many of the high-end vehicles that are stolen in this province will end up in overseas markets or in chop shops where they will be scrapped for parts.”
Here are the 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Ontario:
1. 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
2. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
3. 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
4. 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 2WD Pick-Up
5. 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
6. 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD and GMC Sierra 2500 4WD SUVs
7. 2003 Hummer H2 4-door 4WD SUV
8. 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 4-door 4WD and GMC Yukon 4-door 4WD SUVs
9. 2014 Toyota 4-Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
10. 2005 Buick Rainier 4-door 2WD, Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-door 2WD and GMC Envoy SUVs
Quoting Statistics Canada as the IBC source, Donaldson noted that Guelph reported the largest auto theft activity increase in Canada at 49%.
In Ontario, the rate of recovery for stolen vehicles increased to 60%, up 2 per cent from last year.
“It takes less than a minute for a car thief to steal your vehicle. If you’ve gone to the trouble of buying a car that has a theft deterrent system, don’t make it easy for thieves by leaving the keys in the car,” added Donaldson.