Four people have been left homeless after a house fire on Star Flower Ave in Waterloo yesterday morning.

The fire began in the garage around 10 a.m. before spreading to the main floor of the residence.

Four people were in the home at the time, and one was injured. One woman was taken to hospital and treated for second degree burns to her hands.

Waterloo Platoon Chief Ken Lumgair told 570 News the fire and smoke damage to the home was extensive and is an estimated $200,000.

He also added the Red Cross is currently taking care of the tenants.